•  

Important Announcement!

Founders Week; Begins Thursday, March 27

Go say hi to the new family members from The Empyrean Order in the Pathfinder Forum!

Close Open
Close Open
Photo

MineCraft Chapter Activity

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Elric

Elric
  • CotP Templar
  • Others: Apps Admin, CotP Workforce, VIP, VIP ELITE
  • 6321 posts
  • LocationUSA - Central Time Zone
  • Active Game:Final Fantasy XIV

Donator

Contributor

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:22 AM

Good to know, thanks for the clarification. I've only really messed with Tekkit on a single-player world, so it must automatically assume you are Op on SP. :drinks:

- Elric
Current Chapters: Wildstar

Currently Playing:  Path of Exile, Entropy (alpha), Rust (alpha), EQ Landmark (closed beta)

fs_overall.png
gallery_15442_291_180125.png

#22 WarpedJester

WarpedJester
  • CotP Member
  • 313 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz CA

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

I'm concerned that this thread is getting fragmented and that people may be prematurely jumping down rat holes (of which I am just as guilty). So I want to address a couple questions/comments since my last post and then try and get usc back on the primary questions that I think we should focus on and answer first. I will also try and pull some of the side topics out as there own posts as I think they are valid conversation and worth further discussion.

Private hosting

On the topic of private hosting (made by Jenny) I agree with Elric in that having control or responsibility of the game [in it's entirety] in the hands of one person is not in the chapters best interests. As he points out, if RL becomes a factor for one person it could effect everyone. Jenny, you and Vie of all people can understand that, being that the Artless server was down for weeks before Vie came over to CotP. That said. I think it is worth noting that the game world is not statically tied to the server it is on. Demon touched on this a little, and this topic has already come up in Mumble after the tree-puncher hosting issue.

My thoughts:
As it is we currently have three or more people that are willing and able to locally host a game world if needed. Most of these people are running limited hardware/connectivity at best, so they are not a great option for primary hosting but in a pinch when the primary host is down they can fire up there rigs to get us back up and running. Think of them in the same way you would a back up generator. This option would require cloud based storage of the world back up file, which would not be a issues as there a number of free services providing 5Gb or more of storage for free. You would also need a few basic protocols on when and how to bring up back up server and a understanding from all member that there may be some data loss due to the transition. This option would of course be limited to key people granted admin rights, such as guild leadership or select officers. For the sake of security you can also have a secondary back up copy that is kept under tighter lock and key.

In the end however this is all side chatter until we get a definitive answer regarding the primary question of "will CotP consider hosting our Tekkit world?".

Primary Questions

A) Are we [CotP] willing or able to host a tekkit mod MineCraft server?
Again, people here have expressed this interest in numbers however I do not believe we have seen a definitive answer as of yet.

B) If activity on the vanilla server remains low, will we [CotP]continue to host it?
I share Elric's feelings on not wanting to lose all the work people have put into that world. There may be some options to port structures or full chunks into a new world, but we can address those issue later if/when the time comes.

I'm not out to create issues, animosity, or dissention in the guild. Again, I brought these questions up because they were on the lips of many and I did not see any answers or resolutions on the horizon.

What needs to be done to get a official answer so we can move on?

WarpedJester
Not bent, Not weird, just plain Warped

EQ I: Morell-Thule server
Alabs Taxiservice: Wizzy
Desstiny Wolfiefeet: Shammy
Jjet leezard: Monk
Deadranger Needsarez: Ranger
Phuzzball Pursasong: Bard
Chumba, Ogre Beastlord

EQ II: Freeport server
Wyren Gnomejumper: Warlock
Desstiny Wolfefeet: Shammy
Jjet Leezard: Monk
Deadranger Needzarez: Ranger
Chummba: Ogre Beastlord
Mezme : Chanter

MineCraft: Resident red-stone go-to guy.

#23 Thirdmango

Thirdmango
  • CotP Member
  • 2 posts
  • Active Game:No Active Game

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:49 AM

I realize I'm new to CoTP, but I do have been playing Minecraft multiplayer since before monsters were even implemented on multiplayer servers. I've been through many different servers, some have gone and some have stayed. What I have basically seen is that: You will have drops in numbers at times and rises in numbers at times. Often they occur more so based on time of year and not as much based on actually playability of minecraft. For instance on one public server I'm on, during the month of April due to most college aged players having finals the numbers dipped down substantially but as finals have been over the numbers have increased substantially. Also time of day can often have a big effect.

Again I understand I'm new to the guild so take that with a grain of salt but I personally do not like tekkit servers because even though you don't have creative powers you are able to set up those mining tools which give you all sorts of stuff. Yeah it's sorta hard to make them but it does take away a good portion of vanilla in that you have to mine your own materials. Trading then becomes a much more important objective in a community so that some who like mining are useful and some who just like building can trade for different things.

I would be for having a vanilla server but again, I am just a new guy.

#24 Hamunces

Hamunces
  • Registered
  • 208 posts
  • Active Game:Guild Wars 2

Donator

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:22 AM

Allot of the guild was very Communist in our original Vanilla server. We even had a massive collective vault for items under a players house, so trading was never really around.

Tekkit does make the game easier towards the end of the game, but you have to work to get there. Everyone on the server recently obtained Nanosuit armor, essentially becoming invincible, but we all worked hard to get our power systems setup to sustain them. The Alchemy guys have got mostly Dark Matter tools because we did massive 500+m shafts and worked our asses off for them (For demon to lose one in a lava lake!)

I understand where you are coming from, but hey, as I said, if you don't like something in tekkit, theres nothing stopping you from ignoring it. And if we have to have just 1 server, Tekkit gives the most variety.
Posted Image

#25 WarpedJester

WarpedJester
  • CotP Member
  • 313 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz CA

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:48 PM

Welcome to the fold Third,

I understand where your coming from and i had not given any thought to that aspect because, as Ham has pointed out, our vanilla server and even our first Tekkit serve was very community based with community work and pooled resources. As a result even the topic of a currency mod has been turned down because we just have no need of it.

Its tough to make the right call for MineCraft because it is not a easily defined game, for some its survival, others creative, and still others like my self its a puzzle game. Add to that all the many many types of mods that cater to one interpretation to another and you get the issue here which is quite simply difficult. A mod that benefits one aspect may not be beneficial to another.

In the end the situation still stand, the majority of the peeps in this chapter enjoy, want, and have asked for the tekkit mod, so much so that people in the group are fronting their own cash to support the groups desire out side of a guild server. Again pulling this back around to Elrics comment. Its not ideal to have the control of, what is effectively, a world created and played in by the CotP chapter managed by one person out side of the guild.

So questions still stand, How best do we handle this?
WarpedJester
Not bent, Not weird, just plain Warped

EQ I: Morell-Thule server
Alabs Taxiservice: Wizzy
Desstiny Wolfiefeet: Shammy
Jjet leezard: Monk
Deadranger Needsarez: Ranger
Phuzzball Pursasong: Bard
Chumba, Ogre Beastlord

EQ II: Freeport server
Wyren Gnomejumper: Warlock
Desstiny Wolfefeet: Shammy
Jjet Leezard: Monk
Deadranger Needzarez: Ranger
Chummba: Ogre Beastlord
Mezme : Chanter

MineCraft: Resident red-stone go-to guy.

#26 Silver

Silver
  • CotP Knight
  • 510 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada
  • Active Game:Wurm Online

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:19 AM

I agree with the majority and as for the tekkit being creative, the only ones who can draw from the right are the OP's and everyone else just has the ability to see them. The other nice part is that with tekkit you can disable certain mods if you think they are OP. Currently we are playing on a tekkit server that I'm paying for and I have no problem continuing to pay for it. As for the at my mercy part there are actually a couple of people that have access to the payment side of it in case of emergency.

1. answer to tekkit or vanilla, I'm really enjoying the tekkit version more than the vanilla. I loved the vanilla server but the tekkit has much more options and stuff to hold interest.

2. If the cost is a factor for CoTP I'm definitely willing to pay for my slot. I already donate to the guild so it would just be a matter of upping my donation.

3. I love that our chapter has been growing and hope it continues to grow. My server right now is only CoTP members and no plans to change that. The only downside I see is that we are considered a "casual" chapter and as such don't really have a leadership team. I'd love to see that changed as far as having a leadership team that is actually active in the game.

Just my opinion =)

Silver

333576697f1a4b01.png?1376192920547

a47b7f45afe36d1c.png?1376193442223

5567935fnZuH.png

When life hands you a lemon..............MAKE POTATO SOUP!