•  

Important Announcement!

Founders Week; Begins Thursday, March 27

Go say hi to the new family members from The Empyrean Order in the Pathfinder Forum!

Close Open
Close Open
Photo

Current issues and proposed repairs

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 WarpedJester

WarpedJester
  • CotP Member
  • 313 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz CA

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:47 PM

Hello all,

For anyone that has taken note, yes I have not been on the server as of late. There are multiple reasons for this and I want to address a few.
  • Server stability/errors: Admittedly the server has had minimal downtime thanks impart to a small amount of luck and large amount of Grim's avid attention to the server but in the end the server is seemingly always pitching a fit about something which, quite frankly, has gotten really old.
  • Mod imbalance: I know this is a matter of opinion and im not looking to strike up yet another pointless argument on the topic. As most of you already know, my opinion of the EE mod is a negative one. The result of making ANY item in game a commodity item invalidates many aspects of the other mods in tekkit and completely destroys any possibility of introducing a player economy and anything related to it.
  • OP item and exploitation: People have been using items in game that are arguably OP for a survival environment game. Up until recently I have reluctantly tolerated it but a few issues have come up that I consider to be beyond my tolerance.
  • First, People have altered large areas in or around the city without regard to others. In example; someone used a EE item (ring or philosophers stone) to ice over a large portion of the harbor. While this may seem like a minor ordeal, consider the fact that they left the ice there for someone else to clean up. Also leading up to that surprise, we got to deal with people using a EE ring to set off lightning over and over again in town. While I understand people may have been just "trying out" or playing with the item to check it out. They lacked any kind of forethought or consideration for others. Some people at this point may feel tempted to say something to the effect of "that’s an issue with the player not the item" and while there is some truth to that, that fact of the matter is that if the item is there someone is going to make it and use it. This begs the question, what happens when the offending party decides to "try out" the lava ring, water ring, or some other potentially damaging item?
  • The second issue that crosses the line is people using items in game that have known and documented bugs, exploit those bugs and then try to justify their exploitations. When I call you out on the use of a bug I DO NOT have any desire to hear your feeble excuses as to how its some how ok because… or justified if you do "x". A BUG IS A BUG. If you exploit it you are knowingly and blatantly cheating.
I bring this issues up for a two reasons:
  • I think people need to be made aware of others feelings on the matter
  • I intend to try and find a resolution, and that resolution is a new project to try and put together a new custom mod pack based off the tekkit mod. I have already spoken with Demon and Vie, asking for their help in creating this new pack. The end result (I hope) will be a game experience that will address the issue I have noted above. As well as enhance or add some new game elements in that we as a guild have yet to have.
There are a couple others issue aside from the ones I have noted however they hinge on the development of a leadership structure which, from what I have been made to understand, is not a option at this time.

So, that is where I stand on the topic right now. Please note, im not calling anyone out and I'm not posting for that sake of snuggling. I am bring up what I feel are legitimate concerns AND stating my desire and intent to try and repair/correct/improve them. if you have questions, comments, or requests related to the project, or wish to help, or in some way be a part of the project, please feel free to contact me here or in Mumble.
WarpedJester
Not bent, Not weird, just plain Warped

EQ I: Morell-Thule server
Alabs Taxiservice: Wizzy
Desstiny Wolfiefeet: Shammy
Jjet leezard: Monk
Deadranger Needsarez: Ranger
Phuzzball Pursasong: Bard
Chumba, Ogre Beastlord

EQ II: Freeport server
Wyren Gnomejumper: Warlock
Desstiny Wolfefeet: Shammy
Jjet Leezard: Monk
Deadranger Needzarez: Ranger
Chummba: Ogre Beastlord
Mezme : Chanter

MineCraft: Resident red-stone go-to guy.

#2 Demon

Demon
  • CotP Member
  • 94 posts
  • LocationClanton Alabama
  • Active Game:Guild Wars 2

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:49 PM

And for anyone who may think warps gone off the rocker well yes a lil but he is completely right .I have used the fly ring and I have done the whole power flower and at first i was all for them but its been eating away at me that tekkit is boring now.. to many resources to little effort . we all want to have a good time and if everyone thinks about it if the items were not there we wouldn't miss them (think vanilla we never missed tekkit ) so lets be a community and have some fun without ee please :)
Thats why im TheEliteDemon Top 10%
Posted Image

#3 Viesti

Viesti
  • CotP Member
  • 21 posts
  • Active Game:No Active Game

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:23 PM

I'm planning at some point* to make a mod to be a much more balanced, plays-nicely-with-others implementation of Transmutation. Something which allows certain resources to be exchanged for others, but at a loss so that items get to keep their own intrinsic value and to encourage commodity trading. I think this will be much more in keeping with the spirit of the CotP community we've got. :)

* (that is, sometime after we pass the next milestone at work)

#4 WarpedJester

WarpedJester
  • CotP Member
  • 313 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz CA

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

just to give people a quick update:

We are currently in ALPHA phase. We have selected a list of mods we will be using as our base for the economy based system.

the mods list:

Tekkit 3.x (with EE removed)
bosecononmy
Catacombs
ChestShop
CoreDate
GlobalBank
Homestead
Mcmmo
Monster Apocalypse
pluginMetrics
treasureHunt
TreeAssist
worldedit
Worldguard
foestry
mocreatures
smartmoving

Demon has put in a lot of hours testing and tweaking the system to get a stable platform up and running. I will be helping out with geting permissions set up for the different mods then we will just need to wait on making some editing and adjustments that need to be made by someone with a littleprogrammingexperience. Once we get these final adjustments done then we will be looking for someplace to host our build as we roll over to BETA testing.

NEXT STEPS:
Once we are ready for beta we will be opening the server up to any and all people that would like to join us and help with beta testing. i will post more details on beta testing when the time comes.

Edited by WarpedJester, 15 July 2012 - 09:49 PM.

WarpedJester

Chumba, Ogre Beastlord

#5 Damis

Damis
  • Administrators
  • Others: CotP Guardian
  • 10675 posts
  • Active Game:World of Tanks

Donator

Contributor

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

So is anyone using the server that we rented for you folks?

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave

safely in a well preserved body, but rather to

skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting

"HOLY SHI* .... WHAT A RIDE !"

#6 Grim

Grim

Anger Management Issues

• CotP Sentinel
  • Others: Administrators
  • 11226 posts
  • LocationSunny Southern California
  • Active Game:Elder Scrolls Online
Contributor

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

Not in the past several weeks.

Cheers
Grim

Forum Administrator

Mumble Administrator

#7 Demon

Demon
  • CotP Member
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:05 PM

message to Damis and Grim .. hey guys we havent been trying to intentionally not use it but a falling out between certain people on the server has split the group .. some people are not willing to talk about removing ee but the mod is way to OP(after the first 3days u never need to leave ur home again.). and some of us dont wanna play creative and instead of starting more fights and bothering you with problems u shouldnt have to deal with(not being minecraft players) we decided we would create one and take out any arguments (since if they want ee they dont have to play on the server) i know i feel extremely bad about how far you all went to get that server running. :( i wish there was an easier way to work things out..
Posted Image

#8 Grim

Grim

Anger Management Issues

• CotP Sentinel
  • 11226 posts
Contributor

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

Feelings not hurt on my end.

Even when we close the Minecraft server down, I will personally count it as a success.

There were great times had and the ingenuity of the members that used it was outstanding.

I will make one final backup of the server, in order to preserve the creations that you all made. It will then be available for a short while for download, to anyone interested.

Cheers
Grim

Forum Administrator

Mumble Administrator

#9 WarpedJester

WarpedJester
  • CotP Member
  • 313 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz CA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

just let us know where the load is to DL
WarpedJester

Chumba, Ogre Beastlord

#10 Demon

Demon
  • CotP Member
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

Thanks grim its a bumer that the complications couldnt have been resolved :(
Posted Image

#11 Alexander-Irok

Alexander-Irok
  • CotP Member
  • 1909 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:47 AM

So with the official server closed does anyone have any suggestions where I can hang my hat. I have tried playing on a solo server but it's just not the same even though I pretty much play solo.
Posted Image

#12 Damis

Damis
  • Administrators
  • Others: CotP Guardian
  • 10675 posts
  • Active Game:World of Tanks

Donator

Contributor

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

There are a bunch of members hosting their own server. The problem with private hosting is that those servers usually go up and down and don't provide long term committments. The Official server was up for 6 Months and was supported full time by Grim.

The server was originally a Vanilla server, but was changed to a tekkit server at the request of the members. Then some members decided they didn't like the tekkit server and left it. Then the remaining members ended up quitting the server too. The whole thing was strange to me, since we gave them what they wanted.

So, best of luck in finding a server. The good news is that I am thinking about picking up a new VP server to test for another project. It has 3 GB of Ram and I could install a minecraft server on it if someone wanted to run it.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave

safely in a well preserved body, but rather to

skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting

"HOLY SHI* .... WHAT A RIDE !"

#13 Elric

Elric
  • CotP Templar
  • Others: Apps Admin, CotP Workforce, VIP ELITE, VIP
  • 6323 posts
  • LocationUSA - Central Time Zone
  • Active Game:Final Fantasy XIV

Donator

Contributor

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

Generally the Minecraft servers do not take a lot of time to manage unless there is a lot of needless complications with mods. I would be willing to head that up if the new server is set up as such. If this past experience has shown us anything, it is that vanilla MC is the best option for a long-term stable community. I'm not saying that Tekkit wasn't fun, it just didn't pan out as we had hoped for COTP.

- Elric
Current Chapters: Wildstar

Currently Playing:  Path of Exile, Entropy (alpha), Rust (alpha), EQ Landmark (closed beta)

fs_overall.png
gallery_15442_291_180125.png

#14 Grim

Grim

Anger Management Issues

• CotP Sentinel
  • 11226 posts
Contributor

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

The main maintenance is that a server save needs to be downloaded on a daily basis, in case crap hits the fan, as it did a few times on the previous server.

The other things that need to be done are keeping the server up to date and keeping a regular eye on the logs to ensure that things are not getting wierd.

When its a personal server, with only a couple people its not bad, when its a server that has many people, the upkeep becomes more involved.

I read posts from many different server operators which stated that they spent up to 8 hours a day on public hosted servers.

I averaged an hour a day typically, with ugly times of 5 to 6 hours to multiple days, looking for answers and all.

But it is a labor of masochism, I mean love, ya thats it, LOL.

Cheers
Grim

Forum Administrator

Mumble Administrator

#15 EmyLightsaber

EmyLightsaber
  • CotP Knight
  • 126 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:18 PM

I've heard that the more people on a server, the more food that needs to be produced, to the point that if enough people were on a server, there would not be enough food to go around and some players actually starved to death!

Shores of Hazeron

http://www.hazeron.com/

Raise your quality standards as high as you can live with, avoid wasting your time on routine problems, and always try to work as closely as possible at the boundary of your abilities. Do this, because it is the only way of discovering how that boundary should be moved forward.

-Edsger Dijkstr

Wesco wrote:
Main point: "OH LOOK AT ME I'm A BIG STUPID MECH WITH A SILLY GUN AND I'M ALL AGILE AND GRACEFUL OH LOOK OVER THERE IT's A TR MAX............OH MY GOD I CAN LICK MY OWN KNEECAPS AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE MY SPINE IS."

#16 Elric

Elric
  • CotP Templar
  • Others: Apps Admin, CotP Workforce, VIP ELITE, VIP
  • 6323 posts
  • LocationUSA - Central Time Zone
  • Active Game:Final Fantasy XIV

Donator

Contributor

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:53 PM

Hah I don't know about that one... Minecraft is designed as an immensely huge world. As you explore farther and farther from the start point, the engine "creates" new areas. As far as I know, it is not possible to reach the "end of the map" in any direction. You would likely crash your server from the massive memory requirements before you would hit the end of the world. That being said, each new area randomly generates animals that can be hunted for food.

Beyond that, you can fish (infinite food source in water) and grow your own wheat using grass seeds. Wheat is baked into bread = another infinite food source.

In addition to the above, you cannot actually "starve to death". With 0% on your hunger bar you start losing health, but you never go below 1 heart of health. You can survive indefinitely without food, but your health regeneration is 0 when you are that low on food.

- Elric
Current Chapters: Wildstar

Currently Playing:  Path of Exile, Entropy (alpha), Rust (alpha), EQ Landmark (closed beta)

fs_overall.png
gallery_15442_291_180125.png

#17 Demon

Demon
  • CotP Member
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:38 PM

Ok so as some people may know i have been working a new tekkit server and it has taken me way to much time. and i realize that but i have had some major issues at home that i had to deal with and im hoping to get it up and running b4 i start school on the 24th of sept. i really want the community back we had alot of fun and i would like to see us back to our vanilla days where we all acted as a group . so i have implemented some new mods to try and help everyone work together :) i really hope i can get this to work for everyone :)

thanks
Posted Image

#18 Futon

Futon
  • CotP Member
  • 434 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • Active Game:World of Warcraft

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

Would be fun to get everyone back together in MC again

Guild Wars 2