•  

Important Announcement!

Founders Week; Begins Thursday, March 27

Go say hi to the new family members from The Empyrean Order in the Pathfinder Forum!

Close Open
Close Open
Photo

Star Wars: The Old Republic : Devs Considering F2P?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Grim

Grim

Anger Management Issues

• CotP Sentinel
  • Others: Administrators
  • 11182 posts
  • LocationSunny Southern California
  • Active Game:Elder Scrolls Online
Contributor

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

Hmmmm, I guess we will have to wait until next month, to be sure.

Posted Jun 15, 2012 by Suzie Ford

According to an interview at GamesTM.co.uk, Star Wars: The Old Republic's Lead Designer Emmanuel Lusinchi lets it be known that the BioWare team has considered a free to play model to keep the game competitive with the tide of other F2P games on the market today.

“I think it’s more than the free-to-play model – it’s more that there is a lot of competitive offers,” suggests Lusinchi. “If it was just free-to-play games and they weren’t very good it wouldn’t even be a question but there are definitely good games out there and good games coming out, so of course all of this competition impacts your plan with what you want to do.”

The small article is a teaser for a larger in-print interview scheduled to arrive in July.
EDIT: The article has since been pulled from the GamesTM site, without comment.

Cheers
Grim

Forum Administrator

Mumble Administrator

#2 Denman20

Denman20
  • CotP Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Active Game:Star Wars: The Old Republic

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

I hope not, usually sounds like a death sentence to an MMO, unless you launch it like guild wars with the main income stream coming from expansion packs.

#3 Eendiwena

Eendiwena
  • CotP Paladin
  • Others: Elder Scrolls Online Leader, Group Admin, SWTOR PVP Leader
  • 1431 posts
  • LocationOhio
Contributor

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:44 AM

I read this last month, they are going to offer F2P similiar to howBlizzard does it with wow. From what i read they plan to offer F2P up to level 10, at which time the customer would need to suscribe and purchase the game.

Long as this is all they are doing it should be fine, but if they go the route of LotR then i think this game is screwed.

32234ee7b62e5003.png 088f8ac740b96e65.png
0239e607c782b807.png 284351365ef552f1.png

gallery_15442_51_301413.png

#4 Rav

Rav
  • CotP Paladin
  • Others: FFXIV Officer
  • 1108 posts
  • Active Game:Final Fantasy XIV

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:58 AM

Honestly I couldn't care either way, but with how infrequent BW patches the game, I can see how it may be difficult to justify the monthly fee. 1.3 was supposed to be a quick patch which had itself content cut from it to get it live more quickly...but now it is taking just as long as 1.2 to release. At this rate it, 1.4 will be another 3-4 months.

Even if it goes F2P and many leave cause of it, you will still be able to hop back in any time and experience the story of a class you havent yet, whenever you want..on your own time.

gallery_16769_300_135529.png

#5 Relaed

Relaed
  • CotP Sentry
  • Others: Star Trek Online Leader
  • 613 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, USA
  • Active Game:Star Trek Online

Donator

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:33 AM

I popped in and rolled up an Inquisitor like I had in Beta, only because it is currently free until level 15.
As much as I like the the Star Wars RPG from pen and paper days, and all the other fluff. This current game iteration has nothing that compels me to pay money for it. There is no challenge, it's very easy, kinda like watching a movie. There's no real economy, no exploration, no guild territory to hold and grow.
I can see a free to play version with things you can unlock using real money. Jedi and Sith would be the big one, all other character types are basically support and could be free. Pay for character slots, bags, access to high end instances, bonus exp for faster leveling, very similar to how DDO ran it.

In the end, BW shot themselves in the foot by making this a non-sand box, non-guild / alliance pvp-centric, boring game with a shiny wrapper.
If all the cash they rake in with subscriptions isn't enough to pay for a better game, FTP will help to keep some money coming it and the game breathing, but I'd predict the game continues to die on the vine as it has done since 3 months after release due to lack of "interesting to adult" content.

Get your free 15 levels now!
Current Main Game: StarTrek Online 2nd: MechWarrior Online
Previous CotP Chapters: MWO, SWTOR - Prophecy of the Five Server, World of Tanks, Rift, League of Legends.
8/2012 - ibuypower.com OS Windows 7 Home Premium | RAM: 16MB, CPU Name: Intel® Core™ i7 CPU @ 3.4GHz Physical CPUs: 1, Virtual CPUs: 8, nVidia GT640, Asus VK266H 27" LCD - "This is my pc...it owns...IT OWNS!!!" - FPS Doug.

#6 Eendiwena

Eendiwena
  • CotP Paladin
  • Others: Elder Scrolls Online Leader, Group Admin, SWTOR PVP Leader
  • 1431 posts
  • LocationOhio
Contributor

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

Actually with the additional FP and OP they added in 1.2 helped stablize the game community some. With the combination of servers the game has been sured up even more, when the new Ops we keep hearing about come out it should keep interest.

The problem with all this positive - These things are happening 3-5 months after they should have been released. 1.2 content should have been in the game at launch, 1.3 group finder, should have been in at launch.

I wouldn't blame BW for the problems of the current build, they weren't ready and they knew it. The problem lies with EA, they bought BW only to increase their bottom line because BW was putting out solid games. After EA bought BW they pushed them to rush out SWTOR to get a quick return on investment, as with several sequel titles that sucked compared to the Pre EA versions.

If EA can't get their heads out of their rears and let BioWare go back to what they do best instead of trying to micromanage them to death, then SWTOR and the fate of BW are in the downhill slide to ruin.

32234ee7b62e5003.png 088f8ac740b96e65.png
0239e607c782b807.png 284351365ef552f1.png

gallery_15442_51_301413.png

#7 Mcmanus

Mcmanus
  • CotP Knight
  • 411 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ
  • Active Game:Guild Wars 2

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:49 PM

Just read on Yahoo its going F2P in Nov.

http://games.yahoo.c...-234023440.html

Edited by Mcmanus, 01 August 2012 - 12:49 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Bakath

Bakath

The Anti-Paladin

• CotP Paladin
  • Others: CotP Workforce, Elder Scrolls Online Officer, Star Citizen Leadership
  • 3643 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire
  • Active Game:World of Tanks

Donator

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

Yeah it is set in stone for F2P. Rummer is they knew it would go F2P before launch but had hopes they could beat the odds. Either way they had to launch with a pay model to make up the cost of the game the best they could. AT least this is how a few of the gaming podcasts have been talking the last week or so.
Posted Image