News Ticker
  • Welcome to 2021, let's hope it is better than 2020.
  • free to play

EA Expands Award-Winning MMO Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ With Free-To-Play Option This Fall

New Free-to-Play Model Opens Up the Critically-Acclaimed MMO from BioWare and LucasArts to Millions of Additional Star Wars Fans and Gamers Worldwide

Austin, Texas – July 31, 2012 – BioWare™, a Label of Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: EA), announced today that it will be expanding the story-driven, massively multiplayer online game Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ by adding a new Free-to-Play option this fall. This option will give players access to each of the eight iconic Star Wars character class storylines, all the way up to level 50, with certain restrictions*. Unlimited game access, including new higher-level game content and new features will be made available through individual purchases or through a subscription option.

“Players want flexibility and choice. The subscription-only model presented a major barrier for a lot of people who wanted to become part of The Old Republic™ universe,” said Matthew Bromberg, GM of BioWare Austin.

Jeff Hickman, Executive Producer of Star Wars: The Old Republic added, “Since launch we have been adding new content and refining The Old Republic at a breakneck pace based on the feedback from our fans. We believe we are in a position to help improve the service even more, not only by continuing to add new content, but also by expanding the game to many more Star Wars fans, increasing the populations on worlds and the vibrancy of the community.”

Starting this fall, there will be two different ways to play Star Wars: The Old Republic:

• Subscription – A premium level service designed for players who want unrestricted access to all the game features via ongoing subscription or by redeeming a Game Time Card. In addition to gaining access to all game content as our current subscribers do now, Premium Players will receive ongoing monthly grants of Cartel Coins**, the new virtual currency that will be introduced later this fall. Cartel Coins can be used to purchase valuable items including customizable gear and convenience features that will enhance the game play experience.
    • Free-to-Play –The first 50 levels will be free-to-play, with some restrictions on access to new content and advanced player features. Some restrictions can be “unlocked” with Cartel Coins.

As the first step towards adding the new Free-to-Play option this fall, in August at retail Star Wars: The Old Republic will go on sale for $14.99 USD, including one-month of free subscription.

Current and former players will also find additional benefits as part of this program. BioWare will be increasing the frequency of game content updates, with the first of many new releases coming in August. In addition, current subscribers will receive Cartel Coin grants and qualify for access to special in-game items. Even former players who re-activate now will qualify for special benefits. To learn more about these rewards, please visit www.StarWarstheOldRepublic.com/FREE.

Edited by Darkfalcon

So basically, instead of having us earn our nifty looking items through gameplay and quests... they want us to spend these "Cartel Coins" on them, which subscribers get an allowance of each month. That's all well and good, but if they start requiring these coins to unlock new gaming content, I'll drop this in a heartbeat.

Why is GW2 looking better? They're free to play as well with a prominent cash shop.

Its looking better because If I have to deal with a Cash Shop, I'd rather have GW2's combat and gameplay...

Don't be fooled, its EA, they're going to Cash Shop the crap out of SWTOR in the future...

I played LOTRO for years (from launch until 2011), and the cash shop started as convenience (travel, cosmetics, etc). Within a year they had introduced things that gave an outright advantage (cash-shop only healing potions that stack with in-game healing potions) or removed things that used to be available in-game and made them cash-only (relic removal scrolls for your legendary weapons to save relics that you had spent many, many hours earning).

I too am curious about why this makes GW2 seem better, since GW2 is essentially the same thing with a cash shop and all. In my personal opinion, if you want to know how this will shake out look at LOTRO. The system they're describing is almost EXACTLY the system LOTRO first rolled out with their f2p.

This doesn't really make me want to play SWTOR any less. This is the direction ALL MMOs are going. The standard $15/month model is dead. Everyone talks like anything other than standard sub means a game has died, but at this point there are very few games left that are standard sub. Rift, WoW, Tera, Eve. WoW doesn't count: it's a statistical outlier. No game will ever dethrone WoW, period. EVE is a niche game for hardcore PvP/sandbox folks. Tera is still a new release. So as far as MAJOR MMOs, Rift is about the only one sticking to standard sub. How many major MMOs are still standard sub? Compare that with the number of major releases over the last few years: LOTRO, Rift, AoC, Aion, WAR. Only one of those still has a sub model only. At this point, f2p doesn't mean failure anymore, it's just a natural stage in the MMO evolution that all MMOs are going through.

As for me, I don't know. I am very apprehensive that they'll do in SWTOR what they did with the cash shop in LOTRO. But that's a long way away. Right now I still enjoy the game and am having a lot of fun playing it. As long as that continues, I'll maintain a sub and keep playing--whether there are 100 servers or 1. I don't care what other gamers like or think is a failure, and sometimes I think that too many MMO players don't want to play something because it's no longer popular. If I'm having fun, I keep playing--regardless of total subscriber numbers. Just my 2 credits.

Its looking better because If I have to deal with a Cash Shop, I'd rather have GW2's combat and gameplay...

Don't be fooled, its EA, they're going to Cash Shop the crap out of SWTOR in the future...

I don't know a thing about GW...isn't it a heavily PVP centered game?

As for EA milking the cash shop cow...well, that I worry about quite a lot as well. I very much enjoy SWTOR, but EA sucks out loud.

• CotP Guardian

There was a post on our forums about this happening in the near future, a couple months ago...

They announced it when their subscriptions started waning...

Perhaps it will help to bolster server populations.

Cheers

Grim

I don't know a thing about GW...isn't it a heavily PVP centered game?

As for EA milking the cash shop cow...well, that I worry about quite a lot as well. I very much enjoy SWTOR, but EA sucks out loud.

GW2 is a mix of both PVP and PVE, just like all MMOs these days.

I am just saying if I have to deal with a cash shop, it will be Arena Net, rather than EA because of the combat mechanics and features of GW2.

Its not a contest.

As for a Sub Game going F2P: Imho it means the Devs are cutting back. We'll see less free content, and the content we do get will be less frequent. Lotro in its 1st 2 years rolled out a new chapter to the world story every other month. After it went F2P it was every six months... Just sayin

• CotP Guardian

With the restrictions that they are putting on the ftp folks, the ptp folks still have it made.

I think they may end up getting more subscriptions in the long run.

If folks have to get stuff from the cash shop, just to have a few things that the ptp folks have, it seems like a positive for both types of players.

Cheers

Grim

GW2 is a mix of both PVP and PVE, just like all MMOs these days.

I am just saying if I have to deal with a cash shop, it will be Arena Net, rather than EA because of the combat mechanics and features of GW2.

Its not a contest.

As for a Sub Game going F2P: Imho it means the Devs are cutting back. We'll see less free content, and the content we do get will be less frequent. Lotro in its 1st 2 years rolled out a new chapter to the world story every other month. After it went F2P it was every six months... Just sayin

In all reality, many MMO's before they wen't with a F2P option after being P2P, they tended to cut back on how quickly they released extensive content regardless... I'm not too concerned at all, most P2P games are going the way of F2P... It's a financial move that increased profits while having the side effect of increasing server population and also promoting the game to folks who then might sub up after trying it out...

Also, I don't really see health pots and minor XP boost items and such as game breaking, and I doubt we will see those things right off the bat... They only REAL time a Cash Shop becomes Pay To Win is when gear and items are introduced that give a player an unfair advantage over other players (i.e. the best gear is shop gear), which most of the recent F2P models introduced don't do... The whole Pay to Win model tends to be primarily Asian based MMO's where that is the Asian way to play... LOTRO, City of Heroes, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, and now this game I firmly believe are doing it right... Even WOW and Rift have their form of F2P albeit limited to the first 20 levels or so... They just haven't taken the big plunge yet...

The best model for making profit in the MMO world as it stands right now is to start off Pay to Play, and after the initial craziness, switch it to a Pay to Play with a Free to Play Option... It maximizes profits since you are now catering to the Two distinct Player Types...

As far as the slow down in Content Releases, even in Pay to Play games content releases tend to be slow these days, regardless of pay model... Especially so when the cost to create the content is higher these days and has to be done with less employee's... All game companies are falling into this rut right now... Not much can be done to fix that until the economy improves...

I wouldn't go crying wolf that this game is gonna fail any time soon... Many of the games that have switched to the model this game is about to undergo, have been successful with it's release... Which is probably why so many games are doing it in the first place... If it wasn't a successful business practice, you wouldn't see it happening... And this change is only going to make subscribers have even more options, not less...

I'm not worried at all, and don't see why anyone should be...

Zip

I'm not worried about it becoming "Pay to Win". Of course we won't know what the Cash Shop is going to offer in the long term, but I imagine it'll be things like unlocking content for F2P (mission packs, ability to purchase more character and bag slots and bank tabs, etc) as well as orange armor shells, mounts and pets. I could also imagine things like quick travel tokens, rested XP, one use repair droids and mailboxes, etc. Even if you can get full Black Hole gear or rare items through the Cash Shop, I would very much doubt that they'll offer things better than what you could get in-game. I don't think the game will change that much for people who stay subscribed.

If you pay by the month, the new content is free. Only the free players will have to buy new content.

If thats true, imma prolly be fine with it.

I hope people that pre-order the CE get special stuff...cause i feel the stuff we got just didnt really cut it. a small statute and a book that turned into a dust collector.

People who ordered the CE will get a Heroes' Banner and 1000 extra Cartel Coins. I don't know what the Heroes' Banner does or what the pricing structure is going to be (either in-game or dollar value) for CC, but considering current subs getting 150 CC for each month subscribed between launch and July 31 (1050 CC), people who bought the CE will get about twice what anyone else will get.

To me, the biggest difference between GW2 model and this P2P --> F2P model is this:

GW2 announced from the start and is launching with their model (that will never change). No one will invest time and money in this game that is disagreeable with their F2P model. The buyer knows what he is getting.

SWTOR announced and launched with a P2P model with no hint, no discussion of F2P for 6 months into live. Players willing paid the monthly fee, knowing their money was getting them access to the game and all new content and items. Even though the empty promises of regular content updates left bad tastes in the mouths of many subscribers...they took these promises to heart and waited...knowing their money was going towards these updates.

A proper rebuttal would be that..subscribers do in fact get the content. Well, this is and isn't true. Much of it will be available (even when monthly updates turns into quarterly), but look at this sentence,

"Cartel Coins can be used to purchase valuable items including customizable gear and convenience features that will enhance the game play experience."

This implies that there will be items that will only be available in the cash shop. The fact that this game was exclusively P2P for so long, presents (for some) the subscriber a feeling of betrayal..that many features that were discussed and yearned for by the subscriber base for 6 months, will now only be available for additional money (on top of the monthly $).

Only time will tell what exactly will be in the shop, but the feeling of betrayal exists now...and all you need to do to see how many thousands of people feel this way..is visit swtor.com's forums. Whether or not is a smart business decision...is irrelevant. We are a guild of friends, and feelings of betrayal are of much more importance to us than how much $ a company makes. We obviously want the games we like to not fail, but this is secondary to the reason we play these games...fun (not feeling betrayed being part of it).

The feeling of betrayal will be insignificant to those still having fun, and that is normal. However for many it is not, and they have and will stop playing as a result.

Me, personally, I do feel betrayed.

• Upvote 1

I personally do not feel betrayed. If I continue to sub (which I will), I will get all new content i.e. HK, the new planet, the Cathar, for free. The items in the cartel shop are minor perks. Customizable armor, character slots, inventory slots, etc. Those will be with cartel coins (which I get free just for subbing.) I don't feel that I am losing nor being denied anything with the f2p model being added. That model is just being added to help get more people playing which can only be a good thing. It has saved many games. There is nothing I can do now that I can't do as a sub when the f2p is released. I'm loving the game and plan on continuing that.

If you pay by the month, the new content is free. Only the free players will have to buy new content.

I would be astounded if this wasn't true. I've gone through a P2P-->F2P change: I played LOTRO from 2007 to 2011. The model as they've unveiled it so far seems extremely close to the LOTRO system when it was first introduced, and LOTRO has absolutely maintained the track record that all subscribers get content patdches without paying extra (expansion packs excepted). I didn't mind the change at first in LOTRO, but grew to hate it. My absolute #1 complaint was that in my opinion LOTRO was extremely grindy, and they introduced things in the cash shop to reduce the grind while at the same time intensifying the grind itself, making the cash-shop items very, very attractive. However, IMHO LOTRO is, at its core, much much more grind-centered in design than SWTOR is. I won't spend paragraphs describing systems, but in sum the virtue/trait system (LOTROs replacement for skill trees, there are no skill trees in LOTRO) is nothing but a pure "Go kill 500 orcs in this one area to get a 1/10th better in this stat" grind. And the Legendary Item system should have been called the Legendary Grindtem. The game was already very grindy, but once the cash shop came out the grind intensified: grind centered elements were refined to increase grind and items were sold for cash to reduce the grind. It was kinda ironic: pay extra to avoid playing the game as designed. :P

At it's core, IMHO, SWTOR is much less grindy, so unless the entire game itself were completely overhauled it would, in my opinion, be difficult for them to create a punishing grind to increase traffic to the cash shop. Unless they did something like drastically increase the cost for BH items then sell items in the shop that give temporary increases earnings rate for BH comms. If they go that kind of route, I'd be extremely disappointed. If they keep it at cosmetic and convenience, I'll be OK with it.

And I know every MMO has its grinds and TOR is no exception: its just that I actually enjoy the grind in TOR somewhat. I love running the ops and HMs. :)

Edited by Eldrenath

To me, the biggest difference between GW2 model and this P2P --> F2P model is this:

GW2 announced from the start and is launching with their model (that will never change). No one will invest time and money in this game that is disagreeable with their F2P model. The buyer knows what he is getting.

SWTOR announced and launched with a P2P model with no hint, no discussion of F2P for 6 months into live. Players willing paid the monthly fee, knowing their money was getting them access to the game and all new content and items. Even though the empty promises of regular content updates left bad tastes in the mouths of many subscribers...they took these promises to heart and waited...knowing their money was going towards these updates.

A proper rebuttal would be that..subscribers do in fact get the content. Well, this is and isn't true. Much of it will be available (even when monthly updates turns into quarterly), but look at this sentence,

"Cartel Coins can be used to purchase valuable items including customizable gear and convenience features that will enhance the game play experience."

This implies that there will be items that will only be available in the cash shop. The fact that this game was exclusively P2P for so long, presents (for some) the subscriber a feeling of betrayal..that many features that were discussed and yearned for by the subscriber base for 6 months, will now only be available for additional money (on top of the monthly $).

Only time will tell what exactly will be in the shop, but the feeling of betrayal exists now...and all you need to do to see how many thousands of people feel this way..is visit swtor.com's forums. Whether or not is a smart business decision...is irrelevant. We are a guild of friends, and feelings of betrayal are of much more importance to us than how much $ a company makes. We obviously want the games we like to not fail, but this is secondary to the reason we play these games...fun (not feeling betrayed being part of it).

The feeling of betrayal will be insignificant to those still having fun, and that is normal. However for many it is not, and they have and will stop playing as a result.

Me, personally, I do feel betrayed.

Not sure why players would feel betrayed... Most P2P MMO's are going the route of F2P... It's a sound business change... And in all reality, the P2P players gaming experience shouldn't really change all that much... The only difference for subscribers is the addition of a Cash Shop with what looks like so far, will be mostly vanity items anyways... No big deal in my book... All the questing and story content is still free for subscribers so, once again, I don't see any issues...

The biggest boost to the game will be a greater influx of players... Which in my mind will keep the game going for a longer period of time...

We have gone past the golden days of MMORPG's of the EQ and WOW style... This is how most MMO's are going to be played going forward, it's happening across the board... Just look at how many P2P modeled games are doing it... And in my opinion, they are doing it the right way, as compared to most asian MMO's...

As to GW2, they are following the same model they did with GW1... You don't have to pay a subscription fee, but all new content you have to purchase... They are unique in that way, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's the best model... It's just a different model... And only based on the quality of the content and staying power of it's player base will they make a profit...

I think the state of our current economy is the primary reason so many P2P games are going with a F2P model option... Because nowadays, less peeps can afford a monthly subscription... And that hurts profits... It's the only way to keep the profits high, by tapping into both models at the same time...

Zip

The things subscribers might want from the cash shop are covered pretty much in the fact that subs are given cartel coins every month plus around a 1000 extra if you have been in since launch. I.e. bag slots/character slots/etc.