News Ticker
  • Welcome to 2021, let's hope it is better than 2020.
  • Pit of Loch-Durnan Play-By-Post: Game Thread

Lifedragn

This thread is a continuation of a Play by Post that was occurring on TEO forums. The game fell to the wayside a bit when the party reached a battle that wound up to be a stale-mate, round by round as the opposing groups were trying to wait each other out.Then I moved, lost track of my materials and generally had a hiatus. Giving an attempt at revival and migrating here so that other folks can check in and follow along if they wish. Original thread can be found on the TEO boards at http://www.theempyrean.org/teboards/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=96 for anyone wishing to start from the beginning. Posting should be done by players only. Feel free to start a new thread for spectator discussion or questions.

Quick Background Summary for new readers: Our party begins their adventure where most respectable adventuring parties spend their down-time - a tavern. They are approached by a pair of common looking men who claim to hail from a small mining village named Loch-Durnan. The pair beseech the party for aid in evicting a tribe of goblins that came up when the miners dug through a wall into a connecting tunnel on the other side. The town is largely safe from physical harm, as the only entrance to the mines is through a giant pit, but without the resources the town will fall into economic ruin and be unable to trade for food and other vital goods. The party accepts the task and journeys out to Loch-Durnan. Arriving on a misty and wet evening, they are greeted quite warmly with plenty of food and ale. They gather some new information, including some maps and a noteworthy bit about a spellcasting goblin in the tribe, from the village's mayoral brothers Ian and Crimble McCallister. Feeling well-armed and well-informed, they are joined by a number of townsfolk for their send-off into the mines, affectionately referred to as The Pit by the the locals. In the dark caverns below, they meet and handily vanquish a number of goblins that were waiting to ambush them. Moving forward they encounter a locked door that contained ghouls behind it. Not quite in the job description, but our guys make sure to do their job right and secure the place properly. And then it gets really strange. As they approach the foreman's shack within the mines they are greeted (with sentient spoken words and all) by a dwarven zombie named Barlan. Turns out Barlan was the former mine foreman before the REAL trouble began. Barlan tells of a devil named Warphit imprisoned in crystal deeper within the mine. The McCallister brothers aligned with the fiend and have been recruiting others in the town above. Barlan had confronted them about their odd behaviors and they nearly killed him before tossing him into the Pit to rise again as this ragged bag of flesh before them. He believes most of the town has been seduced or magically charmed by now and has concocted a plan to save those who can be. The only solution is to re-bury the devil by collapsing the cavern on it. He supplies the team with his axe, the process required to bring down the roof, and finally a magical amulet able to protect one person from the devil's charms. As he loses his grasp on the item, face grows vacant and he attacks, now fully lost to undeath. After putting Barlan to rest and pressing against a few more waves of goblins, the party comes to a fork where the creatures can be heard in both directions. Believing it wiser to deal with this bunch from a chokepoint, they send out some bait to lure them and seek refuge in a cavern they cleared earlier. The goblins give chase and crash into the chokepoint. After several deaths, they realize the futility of the practice and retreat. The goblins begin erecting a flaming barrier of their own and appear to settle in around the path to the adventurer occupied cavern.

As we enter our story now, the party finds themselves in a stand-off with the goblins. Having underestimated the intelligence of goblins, they have themselves in a bit of a compromising position. There is no telling how many goblins wait for them to come out, and though they have food for several days, there is no additional source of water in the cavern. Several minutes have passed and the goblins show know intention of rushing in again. As Andius occasionally moves out to see if any new targets fall within bowshot, he is able to spot a new large door coming down the hall. The goblins are moving it from behind like some kind of giant tower shield. From behind the shield pokes out a spear with a dirt-covered formerly white tunic that is being waved like some kind of flag. As it approaches the path towards the cavern, a deep and raspy voice calls out in broken common, "No fight! We speak and make deal. Help you!"

OOC note: We are moving out of combat rounds for the time being, feel free to take some time and discuss these new developments. But try not to wait too long before responding to the parley request. Sending out PMs to all players to point them here now.

Andius relaxes his grip on the bow a bit but doesn't fully lower it, or de-knock his arrow. He ponders the situation over for a moment before calling back to the rest of the party. "The goblins have asked to parley!"

Edited by Andius

• 2 weeks later...

((OOC: Ixio has bowed out. Gedi is willing to step in. Haven't heard back from any of the others. If it doesn't pick up this is a good opportunity for player swapping if folks around here would want to get into a game in progress. Or we could do something brand new - and probably custom instead of a pre-written module like this was.))

OOC: It's been awhile anyway. I've kind of "lost the feel" if you get what I mean. Let's start fresh an implement a 24 hour rule. Basically everyone should be posting within a maximum of 24 hours of it being their turn to post with the exception of if they notify us of a leave of absence. Three separate incidents of going much over 24 hours without notification or five days straight inactivity and you get the chop. Should make for much quicker / more engaging campaigns if we run it that way. 

Maybe we should start a new topic but what are the thoughts of those reading this?

--------- Thread is OOC beyond this point unless our players start checking in and I denote otherwise --------------

Considering it. I may lay out some initial prep-work and see if anything forms. I am hesitant to get into strict 24 hour post rules, as I am not sure I can maintain that over a long period myself.

Still considering a Western Marches inspired game over VTTs. Would require a deal of prep work. But more folks could participate over the span of time.