News Ticker
  • Welcome to 2021, let's hope it is better than 2020.
  • Potential open Pathfinder Game set in custom world

Lifedragn

For some time I have been putting together bits and pieces of a custom campaign world for use in D&D and Pathfinder like games. Whereas a lot of work is still needed, I have a good amount to get started with a game in some of my regions and have been itching to do so. Not at a phase to start accepting character builds, but wanting to see if there would be any interest in such a game. Here are some details...

* Open Format: Characters may come and go between sessions. This allows potentially more people to participate, but the participants will not always be the same from session to session. All characters will belong to the same general organization in order to foster reasonable information sharing and a shared background of why you decide to work together without having to re-address it every time a new character comes along.

* Short Adventures: Most sessions will be small, independent chunks that start and end with clean breaking points. Multi-session dungeons will be rare (hopefully). This is designed to play well to the open format. If you get into a multi-session dungeon then you may get stuck waiting until that specific group of characters may play again. If the next session is mostly characters not present for the multi-session dungeon beginning, they will end up playing off of another arc. If you have a secondary character, you may be able to use them for such occurrences.

* Steady schedule with occassional ad-hocs: Thinking to run something like this on Friday evenings or sometime during Saturdays every 2-3 weeks, probably leaning towards 3. But may supplement with additional sessions in between that occur off of this cadence.

* Online: We will be using either a system like Roll20 or combining MapTool with the CotP Mumble for voice.

* Sandbox-y: There will be NPC actors with motivations and goals, but by and large I am going to try to avoid massive story-heavy plot lines. Whereas I do want to inject a lot of story, the Open Format demands something a little more loose and flexible than deeply engaging the world around specific characters. Instead, characters will be free to react to or ignore external factors based on whatever goals they wish to set for themselves.

My notes are all over the place, but I am beginning to transcribe important details to my personal wiki which can be found here. http://lifedragn.com/mw

Old notes (including maps) for a game that never launched, with even details about the region I hope to play in can be found here... http://lifedragn.com/empire - Note that this realm was not originally constructed as part of Avellia and some details may change as I integrate it in.

Didn't get a chance to reply to this before, but I'm interested. Taking a look over the material now.

*edit*

Have you considered myth weavers for online character sheets? Also could make a section here on the forum and keep them there, editting as we need.

Edited by Ixiolander

The reason I do not favor myth-weavers in this instance is that with such an open come and go format, I want to have revision histories on character sheets in order to know who is changing what and when. This is in large part because I imagine opening it to additional DMs to run their own little sessions if desired.