News Ticker
  • Welcome to 2021, let's hope it is better than 2020.
  • Hull Series - Ship Transportation

Creaky

The briefed that some of the ships will require the wings to be disassembled for the transport and that it's not possible to launch ships from cargo.

I like this system, but I could see a huge "Hanger" module for HUll E's only where you can assemble fighters, and fly them out to dock on top of a "Landing Pad", rather than having to stick to snubfighters; after all, a Hull E won't be moving too fast, so having a full sized fighter clamped on wouldn't have issues.

I doubt the will be any hanger big enough to hold a Hull E.  I envision this ship being built in space and live its entire life there.  A fleet of tugs would be used to load / unload the ship.  But, I may be wrong.

I doubt the will be any hanger big enough to hold a Hull E.  I envision this ship being built in space and live its entire life there.  A fleet of tugs would be used to load / unload the ship.  But, I may be wrong.

I meant a hanger module FOR the Hull E to mount,so it could carry full sized fighters... Thought that was obvious....

Edited by Lazurkri

• 2 weeks later...

HullC-Body-Render04.jpg

I wonder if that means there's all kinds of cargo modules planned for different builds? or if some of that is just outdated designs?

HullC-Open-Loaded-Cargo08.jpg

I think it is out-of-date, as I doubt a ship with that much cargo on the rails could survive entry into a planets atmosphere...

agreed... then again probably depends on the atmosphere ;) but sure they can't technically land like that. hmm except maybe on those gas planets with those floating platforms....

agreed... then again probably depends on the atmosphere ;) but sure they can't technically land like that. hmm except maybe on those gas planets with those floating platforms....

Not even them; gravitational forces and wind currents, recall? if a platform is actually IN the atmosphere, no, a fully loaded Hull above "B" class likely wouldn't be able to compensate for gravity ( If CIG does factor it in), much less the weather.... And likely not even them. You'd need a hardened craft to survive, which the Hulls aren't.

However, if the platform is merely "Tethered" to the gas giant (using a counterweight and thrusters to compensate for drag) with only the gas extraction equipment in the atmos, then of course any of the Hulls could dock; the gas processing equipment would be above the atmosphere. Gravity WOULD still be a problem of course....

BTW, what I said isn't just my opinion on this topic, it's a dev answer from a Q&A ;p , so it's pretty safe to assume it won't change much.

Yeah I know; I overly analyze things. Actually, I'd be amazed to see anything larger than a 'C' in atmos... A 'D' or a 'E' would be too bloody large to bring down to a soft landing; I'd imagine they'd be laid down, launched, and die without ever entering a planets atmosphere

Edited by Lazurkri