News Ticker
  • Welcome to 2021, let's hope it is better than 2020.
  • POTENTIAL Class Changes

Jedipedia (AKA that swtor fansite that promised to be so awesome but turned out to be... not) has allegedly released SWTOR's 5.0 class changes as derived from PTS data.

There is a VERY high chance this could be fake, but I felt I would be remiss to not share it.

https://swtor.jedipedia.net/en/news/5-0-class-changes

Again, don't put too much stock in this.  That site is more than a little notorious due to promising a ton of functionality they never added and has typically been very little more than something that links to Dulfy articles.  Even if their information were true, this is getting derived from VERY early models that may be changed, possibly significantly, for launch.  And that's just assuming this isn't just made up entirely.

I really do not want this to be true. So many changes that all the classes will need to be re-learned in order to play them properly (especially in a group setting).

I.e Healers that sometimes DPS will have one less ability to help them DPS during a fight (think of heroics). or the ability to CC droids on a gunslinger. It really makes the utility of each class harder to manage.

**insert darth vader NOOOOOOOOOOO! meme.

This is consistent with an intent to "dumb" down the classes.

What is more worrying is what is buried in the raw data dumps.

That said, I was unaware that the PTS files were on the CDN that Bioware uses as this is how the data miners usually get their hands on it ahead of the PTS updates.

Grrrr indeed.  Not happy with a LOT of what I see here.  Maybe it's just people trolling (I hope).

As a tangentially related note, I still don't understand the "dumbing" down of classes.  Does Bioware believe that if they make everything stupidly easy that people will flock back to this game?  Or are they hoping that all the people who get the Star Wars bug when the new movies come out will stay?

Edited by Khatarnn

I'm not sure there's all that much dumbing down in it, now that I've spent several days mulling over it more.  (Again all this assumes this is 'real' AND what is actually going to be implemented, rather than a 'possible idea' Bioware's got bouncing around.)

There are a few good things.  Cells/Forms are automatic by your discipline now, rather than a toggle.  No more idiots in the wrong one.  No more arguing with people in tactical FPs that no, clicking ion cell on my Vanguard does not magically turn me into a tank.  (Or all the friggin' mercs/mandos that queue as both DPS and healer then just change to a healing cell while in DPS spec and kill the group because everyone else thinks we have a healer.)

I have... mixed feelings about them removing channeled abilities from melee.  It'll make us much more mobile which will help considerably for certain melee unfriendly fights (meaning a decent meleer will still be able to rival ranged numbers on those fights better).  That said, I did always appreciate having a second to reassess the entire battlefield during a channeled attack and for some that's going to throw off the flow of abilities.

At this point losing the base classes doesn't seem all that relevant.  This lets them add a bit more of a 'difference' between the related advanced classes (especially in future expansions, they likely intentionally limited that at this point as a transition).  And lets face it, you blow through your first ten levels so fast it's not like you spend any time with the base class.  It'll help VERY new players in that they'll get to start on the class they actually want to play and won't have to notice the disciplines icon start to glow when they hit level 10 to get it.  Base classes is a pretty outdated idea really, I shed no tears over it.

...That said, Shadow/Assassin and Vanguard/Powertech are getting a bit screwed over by things as they currently look.  The loss of sticky grenade for Vanguard in particular is going to suuuuck.  And is confusing because for one of the disciplines it's part of the rotation.  But even for tanking... it's always been one of the better opener choices (tow cable is usually better, yes, but it's SO restrictive on range).  And while I'm not overly fond of Shadow/Assassin... losing Force Lightning, Mind Crush AND of all things Phase Walk?  /Ouch./  I'm not even sure what the rationale behind removing Phase Walk could be.  But... literally nobody else has lost anything they should EVER hit (except the stuff that got collapsed into other abilities, like Sneak).  Having seen DPS Operatives sitting there trying to snipe (which will net you an end DPS lower than basic attacking because that ability should NOT BE ON YOUR BAR) I'm personally eager to see some 'pruning' going on.

If these end up being the real changes, I hope there's some new abilities getting added to replace what's getting removed for Shadows and Vanguards.

The loss of the droid-specific CCs seems irrelevant since apparently now all CCs will work on everything, including droids.  Sure this means that Sentinels get no long-term CC, but Scoundrels still have sap.  And lets face it, outside of FPs these abilities rarely see much use.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a few good things.  Cells/Forms are automatic by your discipline now, rather than a toggle.  No more idiots in the wrong one.  

I don't see this as a good thing.. makes it harder too hide your a healer at the start of a pvp match.

Many times I would ride the taxi in a dps stance then switch when I land.

Having seen DPS Operatives sitting there trying to snipe (which will net you an end DPS lower than basic attacking because that ability should NOT BE ON YOUR BAR) I'm personally eager to see some 'pruning' going on.

I also disagree here for pvp purposes. There are situations where a snipe as an op fits well. Shame too see that move disapear from the toolbox.

Pve wise, yah you don't use snipe (outside of very very situational position intensive things) and you need too be in the right stance. 

Interesting. Assuming I am reading the raw data script correctly in 152 they are going to change the healing beam to reflect the color of the crystal inserted into the shell.

5.0 PTS build #5 (September 23th, 2016)

Only cosmetic changes.

• [Operative] Carbine Burst: Icon changed from desperatecommand to abl_ag_op_carbine_burst
    • [Operative] Infiltrate: Icon changed from souterrimpirate to abl_ag_op_infiltrate
    • [Operative] Curative Swell: Icon changed from republic to abl_ag_op_curative_swell
    • [Operative] Corrosive Assault: Icon changed from cull to abl_ag_op_corrosive_assault
    • [Operative] Toxic Blast: Icon changed from defensivecommand to abl_ag_op_toxic_blast
    • [Operative] Erosive Efficacy: Icon changed from republic to abl_ag_op_mordant_susceptibility
    • [Operative] Mutilating Methods: Icon changed from republic to abl_ag_op_mutilating_methods
    • [Operative] Eye for an Eye utility: Icon changed from republic to abl_ag_op_eye_for_an_eye
    • [Operative] Mobile Assailer utility: Icon changed from republic to abl_ag_op_mobile_assailer
    5.0 PTS build #4 (September 22th, 2016)
    • Sith Juggernaut / Jedi Guardian
      • War Bringer/Ardent Advocate utility: now affects Hew/Censuring Slice in addition to Vicious Throw/Dispatch (previously only Vicious Throw/Dispatch)
      • [Guardian only] Unyielding Justice: the effect is now on Force Push and no longer on Blade Storm; it now matches with the Marauder equivalent (Extending Ire)
      • Savagery/Force Rush: cosmetic change (Vicious Throw/Dispatch → Hew/Censuring Slice)
      • Destroyer/Keening: cosmetic change (Vicious Throw/Dispatch → Hew/Censuring Slice)
      • [Juggernaut only] Hew: icon changed from abl_swjk_jugu_whiplash to empire
    • Sith Marauder / Jedi Sentinel
      • [Juggernaut only] Gore is now a 1.5 second cast, no longer an instant (Juggernaut equivalent Lance is still an instant)
    • Sith Assassin / Jedi Shadow
      • [Assassin only] Discharge Darkness was removed; assassins get to keep their current Depredating Volts ability.
    • Sith Sorcerer / Jedi Sage
      • Enfeebling Lash/Sapping Strike utility: cooldown increased to 15 seconds (up from 6 seconds)
    • Operative / Scoundrel
      • New level 38 ability: Toxic Haze/Bushwhack (PBAoE attack and stun in PvE content)
      • Tactical Medicine/Bedside Manner passive (Medic/Sawbones): Now turns Toxic Haze/Bushwhack from a PBAoE to a GTAoE with a 30 meter range, in addition to the previous +3% healing proc.
      • The raid buff Tactical Superiority/Stack the Deck is now granted at level 66 (up from 56). Other classes still get their raid buff at level 56.
      • Scoundrel utilities have been converted into the new 4-tier layout. Operative utilities still follow the old 3-tier layout.
        • [scoundrel only] Slippery Shooter moved from Tier 1 to 4
        • [scoundrel only] Curbing Strategies moved from Tier 1 to 2
        • [scoundrel only] Back At Ya moved from Tier 2 to 4
        • [scoundrel only] Surprise Comeback moved from Tier 3 to Tier 4
        • [scoundrel only] Hotwired Defenses moved from Tier 3 to Tier 4
        • [scoundrel only] Sleight of Foot moved from Tier 3 to Tier 4
      • [scoundrel only] New utility Salubrious Surrender (their equivalent of the Agent's Curative Counteragent utility that was already added in a previous patch)
      • [scoundrel only] Sedatives removed (Agent utility was already removed in a previous patch)
      • Curbing Strategies: cosmetic change (Additionally, after In addition, when Flash Bang/Flash Grenade ends it leaves behind Flash Powder that reduces the target's accuracy is reduced by 20% for 8 seconds.)
      • [Agent only] Eye for an Eye: cosmetic change (Evasion grants a charge of Eye for an Eye)
    • Sniper / Gunslinger
      • Fortuitous Bedlam/Fruitful Rumpus utility: Now procs for every target except the first, instead of for every two targets (Diversion grants 1 stack For every target affected beyond the first, Diversion grants a charge of Fortuitous Bedlam/Fruitful Rumpus for every two targets initially affected, increasing armor penetration by 15% perstack, lasting for charge. This effect lasts 8 seconds.)
      • Counteroffensive Safeguards/Wily Resilience utility: now mentions its duration (When Ballistic Shield/Scrambling Field is activated you gain a charge of Counteroffensive Safeguards/Wily Resilience for up to 4 enemies each enemy inside your Ballistic Shield/Scrambling Field, up to 4This effect lasts 20 seconds and each charge increases your damage reduction by 5%. In addition, while inside your Ballistic Shield/Scrambling Field, you heal for 3% of your maximum health every second and you are immune to being pulled or knocked around.)
      • [sniper only] Maim: cosmetic change (Hurls a vibroknife at the targetwith debilitating precision, dealing X energy damage and stunning itthe target for 4 seconds.)
      • [Gunslinger only] Below the Belt cosmetic change (Blasts the target for Fire from both blasters with crippling accuracy, dealing dealing X energy damage and stunning it the target for 4 seconds.)
      • Lumbering Impact utility: cosmetic change (In addition, after whenFlash Bang/Flash Grenade ends it leaves behind Flash Powder that reduces the target's accuracy by 20% for 8 seconds.)
      • Hold Your Ground utility: cosmetic change (In addition, when youexiting cover,)
      • Executioner/Guile and Guns utility: cosmetic change (dealing → deal), also fixed a copy & paste error in the Gunslinger utility (Executioner → Guile and Guns)
    • Powertech / Vanguard
      • [Powertech only] Shatter Slug: cosmetic change (Fires a high impact slug from your wrist launcher, that instantly exploding explodes on contact with the target, spraying the area with shrapnel shards that deal dealing X kinetic damage to up to 8 enemies in an 8m area within 8 meters of the initial target.)
      • [Vanguard only] Flak Shell: cosmetic change (Fires a high velocityimpact shell, that instantly exploding explodes on contact with the target, spraying the area with searing bits of slag that deal dealing X kinetic damage to up to 8 enemies in an 8m area within 8 meters of the initial target.)
    • Mercenary / Commando