News Ticker
  • Welcome to 2021, let's hope it is better than 2020.
  • Initial Jan 26 Twitch stream notes (spoilers)

SWTOR Jan 26 Producer’s Livestream by the usual suspicious suspects from Bioware who will discuss some plans for Game Update 5.2 plus some future content such as operations.

Video archive can be found at: https://www.twitch.tv/swtor

Agenda

• Community Topics
    • Galactic Command Gearing
    • 5.2 – The War for Iokath
    • Story, Companions, and Group Content
    • The Public Test Server

Community Topics

• Players feel that gearing is still taking too long, they will talk more about it next week in regards to adjusting the speed of getting gear.
    • There are plans to do an event soon to increase (double?) your CXP gain. They plan to have the event forthcoming in 2-4 weeks.

Game Update 5.2 – War for Iokath

• Most likely coming in the first week of April, statement made that if they can do a March release they will try.
    • They intend to bring back operation content into SWTOR starting with 5.2.
    • Master Mode Uprisings – hard challenges for 4 players. These will have additional mechanics and be introduced starting with 5.2.
    • New storyline – Return to Iokath. Scouts from the Alliance, Republic, and Sith have all arrived on Iokath. You, as the alliance commander, need to pick which side you will be on and capture the super weapon. You can decide to side with the opposing faction from your starting faction (i.e. Empire players can side with Republic and vice versa)
    • Returning companions – (Breath Phyre, breath!) Quinn and Elara. If you decide to side with the Empire, Quinn returns. If you choose to go with the Republic, Elara will return.
    • New Daily area on Iokath. The storyline will unlock repeatable dailies on Iokath. There will be new gameplay options with these dailies much as they did for the previous chapters. There will also be a new reputation track dependent upon which side you pick.
    • New Operation – The "Superweapon" is the ultimate boss of the operation. Unlike previous operations, they are not waiting until the fall to release all 5 operation bosses. The first operation boss will be released in 5.2, with all 5 released before end of the year.
      • The first operation boss is Tyth, the God of Rage in the Zakuulan Pantheon.
      • The same guy who designed the Revan fight also designed the Tyth encounter.
      • This operation is expected to be on the PTS in about 2-4 weeks time. The PTS may be either an open PTS, or a closed PTS with an open PTS much later.
      • Tyth will be introduced with both a story and veteran mode in 5.2, with the master mode being introduced when they release the second boss.
      • Most of the planetary stories for Iokath will be wrapped up around the main storyline but the operations bosses are tied to the planetary story and serve as a side track.
      • Changes and items (unspecified) coming to adjust CXP gains for operations in 4-8 weeks. These are intended to be in place before patch 5.2.
      • The return of the companions are separate from the operation.

See Dulfy.net for a render of the first boss, Tyth.

The storyline has me intrigued, although I hope our decisions have a lasting effect on future content.

Nice to have a new operation, too, but I feel as though they missed an opportunity by having a god as a droid.

I largely feel meh.

They really need to do something about gearing, canceled my sub lastnight. I'm pretty pissed about 5.1.

Being a casual player I'll be dead before I can get competitive pvp gear.

They really need to do something about gearing, canceled my sub lastnight. I'm pretty pissed about 5.1.

I don't understand this kind of thinking. My Scoundrel is kicking ass in PVP lately. I was topping the Heal numbers in all the warzones I ran this last weekend. Mind you, I've only got him at 30+ CXP. I was offline for a couple of weeks, though, so my CXP grind has been slower than normal.

I don't understand this kind of thinking. My Scoundrel is kicking ass in PVP lately. I was topping the Heal numbers in all the warzones I ran this last weekend. Mind you, I've only got him at 30+ CXP. I was offline for a couple of weeks, though, so my CXP grind has been slower than normal.

Maybe because the bolster nerf makes it a smash fest for those who don't have gear? Feels like more of a grind

My sorc is CXP 12 or 13... I HAD full 208 pvp gear fully augmented. At the new grind rate I'll never have a full set of pvp gear, Whats not to understand?

It is a grind. The thing is, that EVERYTHING you do in-game is going to give you CXP. Every. Thing. I run heroics and get CXP. I join a SM operation and get CXP. I go into warzones and get CXP. I do uprisings, I redo a chapter, whatever ... I get CXP. Seriously, I was offline for 2 weeks and still managed to get my guy up to 30+ Command.

Only play whatever you want to play, have fun, and you'll get it.

Edited by Phyreblade

My sorc is CXP 12 or 13... I HAD full 208 pvp gear fully augmented. At the new grind rate I'll never have a full set of pvp gear, Whats not to understand?

Looking from the big picture, I don't believe Galactic Command is bad. You can get gear by playing whatever you want to play. For casual players that don't really PVP/Raid, it gives them a chance to get the best endgame gear. Just as a slower rate than you would by doing these activities. What is bad about this is how long you have to grind before you can get a crate and the contents are completely random.

I believe 5.1 is a step in the right direction. It is by no means perfect and there are lots of things that still needs to happen. The developers recognize that the system isn't rewarding enough for people that only have a couple hours to play. They also recognize that the amount of CXP granted per activity and the amount of tokens required to obtain through PVP isn't ideal. I don't really PVP, so I can't really comment on how much of a grind it is on 5.1. All I can say is that gearing through OPs is on the right track. I am basically relying on Galactic Command crates as a supplementary source to gear my character. I am not trying to say that people should do OPs to get gear, but if you feel like the game is not rewarding enough, let them know! Suggest things like: "I should be able to afford a piece after X number of PVP matches" or "I should be getting Y number of CXP points per Heroics". These are things that the developers can tweak (or at least I hope that is the case) and it would make gearing characters (and alts) a lot easier. 

Edited by palgamer87

Just this alone, the entire point of GC is to make it fair for everyone to get gear based on time played and skill level.

If you're a skilled player you have the luxury of putting in less time to gear up because you can complete more OPs at higher difficulty/payout than most players, and will get win bonuses on more warzones, and will know shortcuts through solo content.

If you suck as a player you won't get bonus cxp from warzone wins or be able to grind every Op quickly, but you have the option now to put in more time than those that do to keep up with gear.

You also have the option of playing the GTN or buying and selling Cartel items to afford crafting materials and literally buy yourself gear.

Your argument of not having enough time to get the same gear as someone that is either

A.) More skilled

B.) More dedicated

C.) More economical

is completely invalidated.

If you want good gear, you still have to earn it at the same rate as anyone else. If you can't handle that then don't play games with gear based PvP, there's tons of other options.

Edited by PopsSciclex

You also have the option of playing the GTN or buying and selling Cartel items to afford crafting materials and literally buy yourself gear.

What in the world?! Or should I say Galaxy? I will freely admit I have no idea of the current status of the game, especially 5.0+ but did SWTOR become pay to win?

What in the world?! Or should I say Galaxy? I will freely admit I have no idea of the current status of the game, especially 5.0+ but did SWTOR become pay to win?

He's referring to the changes to crafting, actually. So the mods, enhancements, and armorings your crafters can make are on par with anything you'd get from a CMD crate.

To get all the mods can take some healthy supply of credits though. So play the market, accrue your credits and get what you need to craft it yourself, basically.

Ok. So is there any truth to the follow statement:

I could buy cartel credits with my hard earned cash, trade those cartel coins for valuable items, sell those valuable items for credits and then purchase the highest level armors mods and enhancements available in the game?

Ok. So is there any truth to the follow statement:

I could buy cartel credits with my hard earned cash, trade those cartel coins for valuable items, sell those valuable items for credits and then purchase the highest level armors mods and enhancements available in the game?

No. The highest level armors drop from level 300 CMD crates and that stuff can't be RE'd from what I've seen. You do get schematics though, from Ops and crates, that allow you to craft comparably good items.

To properly gear up the fastest these days, you have to have your crafters fully prepared to make the items you need. I've crafted my ear and mods and enhancements. Eventually I'll get that blasted versatile schematic, dangit.

I think the highest craft-able armoring/mods/enhancements have a 240 rating. However, the highest gear you can obtain from Nightmare OPs or from tier 3 command crates are 242. Not sure if the 242s are learnable through reverse engineering. The 240 gear is really expensive on the GTN though. Last I checked, an armoring cost 8M+, so if you are buying everything it is going to cost you a fortune. You could craft some of it, but you still have to get a hold of VMC (purple component that drop from OP bosses) and the corresponding schematic. 

I think the regular 228 rating gear should get you through most of the SM mode content (maybe some of the HM content as well). You really don't need BiS unless you are trying to be competitive in ranked PVP or you are part of a prog group. 

This is true - if you are only using the PVP unassembled components / command tokens system to target individual pieces it will take a long time.   Consider also that there are other ways to get gear now besides grinding for a single piece and trading up 2x - you still can get gear drops from crates that contain level 230 or above, and crafted 230 gear, mods, enhancements, barrels, hilts, and armorings are craftable - they just don't have the set bonus.   I think there is still a way for casual players to be competitive due to all the options you have to obtain gear via different methods.