News Ticker
  • Welcome to 2021, let's hope it is better than 2020.
  • Gameplay

Killercod

This is the thread where all out of session gameplay and session wrapups will be posted at!  Anything not related to trade: such as out of session interactions with other players and NPC's, questions and explorations outside the session, or other gameplay related matters.

EDIT:  Since this thread started to grow and branch out, we'll start the adventure text in a different thread when the game gets underway!

As H1 was supposed to be a "test" module to see if we liked playing the game, we never really discussed setting or backgrounds for our characters.

Any thoughts on world creation/setting/character background?

I know they put out a Forgotten Realms setting for 4th Edition.  I'll see if I can find it.  Maybe we can use that as a backdrop for our campaign.  That would give us some help coming up with character backgrounds and give our world some depth.

I'm planning on roleplaying as much as I can and developing some background for my character(s).

As H1 was supposed to be a "test" module to see if we liked playing the game, we never really discussed setting or backgrounds for our characters.

I know they put out a Forgotten Realms setting for 4th Edition.  I'll see if I can find it.  Maybe we can use that as a backdrop for our campaign.  That would give us some help coming up with character backgrounds and give our world some depth.

I'm planning on roleplaying as much as I can and developing some background for my character(s).

For those that use scribd you can find the infomation on settings here

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7483606/DD-4th-Edition-Forgotten-Realms-Players-Guide-4e

I personally like the idea and want to set a home region for both my characters.

I personally like the idea and want to set a home region for both my characters.

I also would like to get into the setting, background and home region for my characters.  I'm not certain how much of that I can get prepared before Saturday, so it may be a bit of a work in progress for me, but I'll give it a try.

Anything in the way of called shots coming into place for this module?

Its up to KC.  If we do use a called shot system, here are some possible examples:

All of the systems I've seen number the parts of the body, either 1-6, 1-10, 1-20, or 1-100 depending upon how difficult you want it to be to "call a shot" (I did not do a 1-100 breakdown because it can be done any way the group wants to allocate the points):

Body Part:  1-6:  1-8: 1-12: 1-20:

Head            1    1      1        1       

Right Hand                  2        2

Right Arm      2      2    3      3-4

Left Hand                    4      5

Left Arm      3      3      5      6-7

Chest          4      4      6      8-10

Stomach              5      7      11-13

groin                    6      8      14

Right Leg      5      7      9      15-16

Right Foot                    10      17

Left Leg        6      8      11      18-19

Left Foot                      12      20

There are different approaches from this point.  The one that seemed the most interesting and balanced to me is that you can "call" a shot with both melee and ranged attacks.  When you call a shot, you lose your ability bonus to hit (for example, with melee attacks you normally add your strength bonus and ranged attacks you normally add your dex bonus).  So your attack roll is made without the ability bonus.  If you hit, you then roll a d6, d8, d12, d20, d100 or whatever range you used for the body parts and you can adjust your roll up or down by the amount of your ability bonus (the bonus you would ordinarily add to your attack roll).  Here's an example using the 1-20 body part range:

I swing a sword and call my shot.  I want to try to hit my enemies right hand because he's wielding a wand.  I roll to hit.  Normally, I would roll d20+3 for my strength bonus +2 for my level bonus.  For this called shot, I roll d20+2 for my level bonus, but don't add my strength bonus.  I roll a 17 and I hit my target.  I then roll a d20 to see where my shot would strike.  I roll an 8, which would be the chest.  However, I can add or subtract my strength bonus (+3) to my roll and change it to anything between 5 (left hand) and 11 (stomach).  Since I can't hit the right hand, I opt for hitting the left hand and knocking my enemy's spellbook out of his hand (after he makes a dexterity check to see if he hangs on to it, of course  ;) ).

Anyway, that's just one way of doing it.  You can also incorporate a body part "hit" system regardless of calling shots.  After you roll to hit, if you hit, you would roll another die to see what body part you hit.

All just food for thought for KC and the group.  I'm fine with no system or whatever the group decides.

Hmmm...seems like a double edged sword (no pun intended).  Would the mob's be able to call thier shots too?

We can give this a try if everyone wants to, but it might slow down the flow of play a bit I think...still it would be an interesting mechanic to try out...;)

One of the things I really like about 4th edition is how much faster and less technical it is. Although it sounds interesting I personally don't think we should add it.

While I'm fine either way, I agree with the sentiment Tagon expressed.  One of the best parts of 4th Edition is that it is streamlined.  The worst part for me is having to slow the game down when I have to roll initiative for 20 monsters because there is no way to do that beforehand (by the way if anyone knows of a way to roll initiative beforehand and have it save with the module so that the DM doesn't have to roll initiative at the beginning of each encounter, please let me know).

Calling shots would definitely slow things down.  Plus, how much does it really add?  How many times has anyone really been interested in hitting a particular body part?  If its really important at some part of the game (for instance, in our last encounter when the party attempted to knock a book out of Kalarel's hand) I suppose the DM could improvise some rule (perhaps if you roll an 19 or better you can hit a particular part of the body) to address that particular situation.

As I said, I'm fine with or without a system.  All things being equal, I'd say if we use a system it should be something very basic, which doesn't include extra dice rolls or looking up information on charts.

We can use a simplified system for special cases I suppose.  Say, standard to hit chance, then another d20 roll to determine chance to hit a specific area?  We can make it on the fly as we go along.

While I'm fine either way, I agree with the sentiment Tagon expressed.  One of the best parts of 4th Edition is that it is streamlined.  The worst part for me is having to slow the game down when I have to roll initiative for 20 monsters because there is no way to do that beforehand (by the way if anyone knows of a way to roll initiative beforehand and have it save with the module so that the DM doesn't have to roll initiative at the beginning of each encounter, please let me know).

The people who made map tool also have a tool call IntTool and from what I can tell that is exactly what it does. I haven't played with it much, but it something maybe KC can look into.

Sounds good to me, whatever you can find in that department would be greatly appreciated!

Since we have found all the information on this are we free to go ahead and select our region?

Yes, please go ahead and flesh out your characters as much as you desire (within the rules...lol)

I've actually been playing with the InitTool and the DiceTool...both look promising for a fledgling dungeon master such as myself...:)

The dice tool is pretty good, especially when rolling multiple init's or saves and such.

The init tool is a bit cumbersome...i feel like it's easier to roll the inits and then just handle them in the maptool...so far...

I'll probably be out again, just haven't been enjoying it like I used to at first. Has something to do with the endless combat.

Hope to be able to pull myself in there next week..